Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I Forgot My Pin...

How can it be? Forgive me, please, for posting this. I know it's irrelevant and you don't care, but I need some space to complain.

I drive past a servo and intend to go inside to use the ATM (I think you yanks call them "teller machines" or something). My sister is in the passenger seat and requests that I get her some moolah at the same time. She hands me her card, prattles out her pin and I walk into the servo, card clutched in front of me reciting her pin over and over lest I should forget it, enter the wrong one and have the machine eat her card.

No worries. I make it to the ATM, quickly plunk in all the numbers and withdraw $100 successfully.

Step number 2 - insert my own card. "Please enter your pin." ... ... ... .... Erm... ... ... ... Um... ... ... ... I forgot.

Seriously now, this is weird. I've used this card for years now with no mishaps. Same card, same pin, same everything. I've never before hesitated to enter my pin on request. So why can't I remember it?

Frustrated, I buy a few things on credit and profer my signature, confident that it's just a mental lapse and my pin number will stand up from the piles of clutter in my brain, dust itself off and resume its proper place, ready for retrieval next time around.

Well... Here we are 3 days later and I still can't remember what my pin is. I have to call my bank and ask for a new card.

HOW??? WHY??? Am I secretly retarded? Is this the early onset of dementia or some other terrible disease of the brain? Surely this is not possible? My pin is GONE. A section of my brain is missing that was there before. Did little green men carry it out through my earhole during the night? PLEASE I NEED ANSWERS.

I guess I've always been a little eccentric. Maybe this is part of that. Either way, I don't want to think about the possibility of mental retardation this early in life. So I won't. I'll get a new card and forget this ever happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment